What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

I've been thrifitng again. Bad, bad, bad. Yesterday I had a decent haul at the City Hospital Thrift. The lady that runs it is always asking me if I could sell certain things on ebay. Yesterday it was three stair stepper machines. I keep telling her that I rarely sell on ebay, but she keeps asking. And, I've noticed that she prices things a bit higher to me. I guess she thinks I am reselling everything. Some things I will, but not everything. Besides, can you imagine shipping a stair stepper??? Eye-yi-yi!
Here's part of my haul from yesterday. Yet another box of red vintage Shiny Brite ornaments. It's funny, I sent my vintage Christmas swap partner a box exactly like these from this exact thrift store. So, I think they had been together and now I have bought them both. The stuffed animal looking things are blank doll forms. Sometimes I get in the crafty mood and like to make a doll or a wreath. So, I thought these looked fun and at only 50¢ each I couldn't lose out. The pile on the bottom left is a bag of different pieces of all sorts of Christmas materials and ribbons. It was 75¢. I think I will use some of these things to make the aforementioned doll. The tin is a Sunshine Biscuit tin in the Wedgewood pattern. It was made as a tribute to the Wedgwood pottery company. I am supposed to refrain from buying any tins since I literally have hundreds of them, but this one was special and it lept into my hands. (And so did another nice old one today, Shhhhh.) In the background you see the fabulous hand quilted and hand tied baby quilt that I scored for a mere $2.00.
This is a nice old soft vintage baby quilt - not a new shiny cotton quilt. And, on the backside it says "Bobbie" on it which I find endearing. I will probably use this in my decorating somewhere and might even use it to cover up on a cold winter night on the couch. I don't normally even look in the area where the baby things are since it is generally just onsies and little outfits. But, you just never know what you might find!




Now that the Christmas decorations are up, I thought I would share some of my favorite things. And, Schnitzel with noodles.... I love Annalee dolls. And I really love them at thrift store and yard sale prices. I got the pink girl and the big reindeer at a big thrift store in a neighboring town about six years ago. I planned on selling them near Christmas, but the longer I had them, the more I fell in love with them. And, as you can see, they didn't get sold. They were $1.00 each. The Santa, according to the tag, is actually just from Wal-Mart in the 1970's. But it certainly is an AnnaLee wannabe. He was 50¢.

These three little Annalee Santas came from the City hospital thrift store last year. I remember seeing them as I entered the door and I almost floated over to them. I only saw one at first, then another and then another. I hesitated before looking at the price because sometimes I am not so pleased to see a price like $10.00 on something cool. I was thrilled to see the magic price of 50¢ on each one. The lttle elf mouse came from a yard sale this summer for $1.00.
More finds tommorrow......

1 comment:

  1. Love that baby quilt! 'Bobbie'...so cute! I always check the baby bedding section for handmade quilts/blankies. I found a gorgeous old chenille baby quilt top once--score! Maren actually sleeps with a couple of thrifted vintage blankets in her crib. I got zillions of blankets as gifts when she was born but I love my thrifted ones best!

    Great photos of your decor! You should post them on the YSQ thread! I've been getting out my junk today so maybe tomorrow I'll have some pictures to add to the thread!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers