What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Growing Up Is Hard

Christmas Eve 9:00 pm - DS and Daddy decide to wrap the presents for me. They disappear into the bedroom with rolls of paper, tape and some bows.

9:30 pm - DS comes skidding into the bathroom so fast he nearly falls since he is wearing only socks on the hardwood floors. I hear him say, very excitedly, "Look what I made!"



When I turn to look at him, I see that he has fashioned himself a sort of a Super Hero mask out of wrapping paper. He wass so proud that he made it and got it on right and that he can SEE through it. He was just beaming.

The thing is, DS is very tall for his age. He is only 11, but he is 5'3". When he was two people would ask how he liked Kindergarten. Resturants have been charging him adult prices since he was seven. He wears a size 9 Men's shoe. But, in his head - he is about six or seven in the way he plays. He has a very active imagination - he still likes to role play with his toys. He doesn't want to dress like a Power Ranger or play with the little figures, but he still likes the morphers and things that MAKE him a Power Ranger. He still has a big plastic steering wheel and a set of real keys and he often sits on the couch and "drives" it. Although now he goes more grown up places on his trips and not just to Chuck E. Cheese or the toy store. I think it's just fine that he plays hand has an active imagination. Being a grown up is hard, why not be a kid as long as you can be a kid??????

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers