What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Pillow, a Rolling Pin & Some Leaves

These pictures have nothing in common - just miscellaneous ramblings!
I got this pillow at the Salvation Army for $1.00. It is Needlepoint and has a Warner Brothers Movie Studio tag on it - so I think it must be from a movie. It's a keeper.

This picture is funny. It looks like a rolling pin next to a Ball Canning Jar. And it is - except the rolling pin is 27" long and the jar is 17" tall. I bought the rolling pin for $1.00 at a yard sale. The lady owned a resturant for many years and rolled out all the pie dough with it. It weighs a ton and is just huge. I don't think I even have a piece of countertop wide enough to use it on! My husband bought me the giant canning jar for Christmas a few years ago. I filled it with red glass apples. Every day for exactly two minutes the sun comes through the kitchen window and lights up the glass apples. It's really pretty - but it only lasts two minutes.

Every year we have a family reunion in Carthage, MO. This year we have cancelled it. They have the Maple Leaf Festival in Carthage this weekend. There are thousands of Maple trees in town and they are absolutely gorgeous. I will miss it this year. This is a picture I took last year of some leaves DS and I picked up off the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers