What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Happy Fall Ya'll!


Fall has officially arrived today. Maybe even winter. It was 42 degrees this morning and it was even sleeting for awhile. And here I am, with the A/C guy coming again today. The trees are turning and it is starting to get really pretty. It is time to buy a punkin and some haybales and get the scarecrow out of the storage building. This is my little vingette that I made in the front yard last year. We buy hay, cornshucks and a pumpkin or two. Actually, most of my pumpkins are made of rubber, but you can't tell the diference. I found several of them on clearance at Target for 90% off a few years ago. The old birdhouses and watercan are yard sale purchases. We go scrounging for pinecones, hedgeapples and grapevine to ad to the decor. I always go into the woods amd look for grapevine and make my own grapevine wreaths on the spot. I was on a dirt road doing this once and three different carloads of people stopped to asked me what I was doing and would I teach them to do it too. I just assummed that everyone knew how to make their own wreaths!

1 comment:

  1. That's darling, Shara! And I'm way impressed you make your own grapevine wreaths. I think I probably would have stopped and asked you to teach me too!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers