What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I volunteered at school today working in the library at the Book Fair. DH was off work today so I suggested he volunteer too. We worked 2 hours each. We sold over $800.00 worth of books in two hours. For our time, Scholastic gave us each a $6.00 credit to spend on books. So, that is $12.00. They asked me to work a couple of hours in the morning too, so I will get another $6.00 credit. That doesn't sound like much, I know. But, that's $18.00 credit and that will get my son one very nice book for a Christmas present. He has his eye on a $20.00 book, but he knows I am too cheap to buy it. He will be thrilled when he finds it under the tree. And, it will only end up costing me $2.00!

Since I am working in the morning, I will be dressed and ready to hit the thrift in the next town over and then hit the double coupon store for a few Thanksgiving Dinner essentials. I need a bigger turkey now that I am hosting Thanksgiving. I stock up on a lot of items this time of year while they are on sale. I buy a lot of flour, sugar, nuts, almond bark, canned fruit (mandarin oranges specifically) and other baking supplies now while coupons are plentiful and the advertised prices are lower. I don't do a lot of baking, but getting flour and sugar cheap now allows me to be able to bake whenever I want to without having to go buy everything at once.

Stay tuned for my After Christmas shopping list - I buy SO much after Christmas to be used all year long. They practically give the stuff away - so I think of reasons to buy it all. For instance, we have been using Chrsitmas paper towels since last year when I found rolls of Mardi Gras Paper towels reduced to 12¢ a roll. That is 8 rolls for a dollar! I bought two cases!

Hint of the day: Stock up now while it's Cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers