What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Santa's Creeping In

Gosh, I never thought I 'd see that day that I had only blogged once a month.  So, I thought I better pop in here for a quickie before the month is over!  I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.  It was just the three of us here and we didn't fix any Thanksgiving food. Well, we did have pie, because you know - PIE.  I was supposed to host a big dinner on Sunday, but we are all fighting the crud - The Bean has it full blown - and I don't want my parents to all be around germs, so we postponed it.  Well, I postponed it, but both sets of parents just said to not worry about it and we will celebrate big for Christmas.  I guess that's fine.  But, I hate to miss any holiday with all of us together.  Plus, I am hankering for smoked TURKEY and mashed potatoes with loads of butter.  And more pie.  Because, PIE.  Luckily, I already bought all that, so as soon as everyone is feeling 100% we shall have that turkey.  And pie.  :)

Thanksgiving Day I drug out the porch decorations and got all my Santa blow molds set up.  Today I finished up the lights.  We used to do lights all along the roof line, but now I just do the inset porch.  I know that blow molds can be considered tacky to some that don't understand them COOLNESS of them, so I try to keep it all contained and together.  It has a nice glow from the street and I have noticed a few cars stopping to look.  I leave the big red "S" up all year for our last name, but I leave it up for Christmas for "SANTA".  


I'm sure it might still look like a crazy bunch to some people, but it just makes my heart sing.  I do love my Santa's.  I feel like I am really behind in decorating, but there's still five days left in November.  I have been itching to decorate for months (I kid you not) so the fact that it is actually time is VERY EXCITING TO ME!  Tomorrow I will drag in all the bins and let the fun begin.  

Last year I bought a white tree.  I have never had a white tree - have you?  I am wondering if it is really bright or puts off heat? That may sound silly, but we have a small, well insulated house and sometimes the heat of the tree really heats up the living room.  I think a white tree with all my vintage ornaments will be so pretty.  But, I don't want to be all blind and sweaty.  LMK if you have a preference, please.  

Off to bed with some Vicks.  You guys take care and thanks for stopping by.

PS I am having a vintage Christmas sale on Instagram on Monday. I'll have vintage Christmas, vintage handmade and other fun stuff.  Follow me on Instagram @sharamonkeybox  










5 comments:

  1. I think it looks like a charming diorama! Like those ornament boxes crafters use but on a bigger brighter blow moldier scale! Love it! Ugh hope the family feels better. I'm watching the kids...they seem like they are producing more snot than usual.

    Chanelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same as Chanelle, it does look like a diarama. Add a truck with a tree on top. Put the vicks on bottom of feet, it gets in the bloodstream quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:41 AM

    I got an inexpensive 5 ft white tree three years ago; I wanted a shorter tree to put on top of a table in my corner and I always wanted a white tree. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it either (and when I am tired of it, I plan to get a good quality 4-5 foot green tree). Downside to it being inexpensive? The branches are flimsy and my blown glass ornament collection WAY too heavy for it. I had to purchase shatterproof lightweight ornaments and I am OK with that as it gave me the chance to change it up for a few years. It is very bright too but I don't think it is is too hot. Dawn P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Your porch is AWESOME! I feel the need to get more blow molds now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're still here chica - I've been pushing the refresh button every day : ) Remember to use real butter with your mashed taters cuz otherwise, what's the point? Buttah makes everything bettah.

    And bless the person who thought of putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes (with brown sugar and butter). I tried Campfire marshmallows this year (because that's what my grocery store had) and they have the sweetest light "crunch". I'm baking a butternut squash now and dressing them as if they are sweet potatoes. We'll see how they turn out.

    Your Santa collection blows me away hardee har har. I know - that was terrible! But your blow mold collection is something to behold! I can't wait to see everything come out of the bins!

    I love a white Christmas tree! I'm sure you'll gussy it up and it will look fantastic. I would love to find one in the wild and decorate it with red and blue ornaments.

    Vicks will cure the crud. It cures everything. I hope they always make it. I wish I could find the Vick's dark cough syrup to knock me out when I can't sleep.

    Are you picking this time of year or are you taking a break? I still am but I can't remember anything extraordinary for the life of me. Oh wait!!!!!!!!!!! I scored 37(!!!!!) Kewpies on OfferUp! I typed in my usual keywords justforthehellofit and for some weird reason I typed in Kewpie (maybe I was lamenting the fact that I missed Magpie Ethel's Etsy sale (again!) with her darling Kewpies). And there were four lots from the same seller for sale - I couldn't believe it. I could only afford one lot (so I thought) but when I met the man he gave me an unbelievable deal for all. Months ago his wife literally left him wearing only the clothes she had on. She didn't show up in divorce court so he got everything and he hasn't seen her since. They lived in Japan and she collected Kewpies from all over. All of them are vinyl so they aren't super old. And I'm OK with that because I just want Kewpies, any Kewpies. Some have a slot in the back as if it were a bank, which I've never seen before. There are two that are teeny tiny - so effing cute. I'm thrilled because I only had one and they are hard to find in my area - have never seen one for sale except at the antique mall, where I bought my one. There were about five for sale. I went back another day for one more and they were all gone. The OfferUp seller had them up for sale for about a month. I told him that I'm going to be on a Kewpie high for a few months. I had to tell you Boo because my family doesn't understand my vintage obsession.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers