What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Junk I Have Bought Lately

Hey guys.  I'm tired and I am grouchy.  I am getting ready for the Junk Ranch in FIFTEEN days which is NO time at all.  I am disorganized to say the least this time.  The garage is packed and I have no room to move things about and get organized.  Every time there is a Junk Ranch and I try to get ready I SWEAR that next time I will be organized.  But, here we go again.  Part of my lack of space is just because I bought it doesn't mean it can go to the booth or the Junk Ranch right away.  I still find a good amount of vintage Christmas that has to wait for the fall.  And I am still hoping to get another small booth, so I am hoarding things back for that since you never know if or when it will happen.  

I am also completely stressed about getting my things there and back.  We are currently without the pickup, so The Breadman is driving the big 14 foot box truck back and forth every day.  He is going to let me load that truck and take everything out in one big load instead of the four carloads that it usually takes me. That will be awesome.  Then when we tear down, we can just load the truck without having to do math to pack the car.  It all sounds great.  But I worry that that the truck will break down or there will be some issue and I will either not be able to get it all there or worse yet - get it all there and then have no way to get it home!  Of course I will sell a lot of it, but there is a certain amount that just has to come back home.  Fingers crossed, knock wood, throw some salt over your shoulder and a little praying and hopefully it will all work out and it will be fine.  (I won't even talk about the torrential rain, winds and flooding we have had the past month.)  OYE VEY.

So, here is a taste of a few things I have bought lately.  




I was at the Salvation Army and this was wheeled out on to the floor just as I was leaving.  A vintage egg crate!  I have never seen one of these thrifting!  I was surprised to see it there and even more surprised that it was only $4!  Whoop!


Also at the same SA on the same day - a nice old candy jar.  Funny thing is, it was full of cotton balls and the tag said, "Cotton balls $1.00".  How could they not see the candy jar and just market the cotton balls?  I mean, lucky for me, of course.  When I checked out, the guy picked it up and said, "Cotton balls.  Huh!"  In case you couldn't guess, I threw the cotton balls away pronto.  


On my way in a hurry on a rainy day with only a few minutes to stop at a thrift that rarely produces anything good or really anything at all.  Grabbed this old Redmon picnic basket and ran!  $5.00!  I love these baskets, but I pretty much sell any that I find nowadays.  I think I have about 25?  


Bragging time!  The Bean stopped by Goodwill and found a roll of tickets and an old glass flower frog.  "You like these things, right?"  Uh, yep.  Thanks Bean!



A vintage ceramic deer.  He will be a floral wreath around his neck and head to the Junk Ranch.  (Every thing I showed today will go to the JR!).


This old stoneware bowl is neat, but hard to photograph.  It is made to look like it has a gingham edged napkin in it.  I think it might be from an old deli for potato salad or something along those lines.  It's the only thing I am tempted to keep because, well GINGHAM and I am always worried to take many breakables for fear of breaking something cool.  

Time to go to bed then get up and start working on pricing again.  I know, it's not like a real job.  But, it's still darn hard work and it wears me down.  But, it is also THE BEST FUN EVER.  I am weird.  

Thanks as always for coming her whether I have a funny story, junk to share or just need to whine. You guys ROCK!

8 comments:

  1. I love to see the things you take to Junk Ranch. I wish I could visit you there! Maybe one of these days! Try not to stress too much! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH that would be a fun road trip for you! Fingers crossed!!!!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:00 AM

    You always find the neatest of things! Love your blog!
    Carol from Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! And thanks for stopping by from Canada! <3

      Delete
  3. Shara PLEASE take care of yourself. Don't stress. You LOVE Junk Ranch time so deep breath, believe the truck will behave, skies will clear, what gets done gets done and HAVE FUN!! I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you too : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are sweet to say those things. I am trying to remain calm, but I like to know what is happening and not fly by the seat of my pants. But, I will settle down and enjoy it. Thank you doll!

      Delete
  4. Ree Cee8:30 PM

    That egg crate is to die for!!! I find myself buying almost any large clear glass jar that I can put my hand in easily and if it has a lid. I imagine filling them up with all the little doo dads that I've collected the past few years ... one day ... hopefully before I dry up and turn into dust.

    And of course what you do is a real job! But don't feel guilty because it's FUN AS HELL too! Enjoy it Boo!

    And again, don't think for a second we wouldn't want to see your treasures, with or without the funny stories. WE WANNA KNOW! Keep posting - we'll be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at glass jars and DOO DADS! Ah, my BOO left a comment. :) My husband worked 80 hours last week and I figure I really worked about twenty more than that - but he gets the attention because he is gone all day and sweaty and blah blah blah. He never understands why I am tired. DUH.

      Delete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers