What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Top O' The Morning

I've never been much into St.Patrick's day other than wearing green so I won't get pinched.  But, when you thrift and go to as many yard sales as I do, you're bound to come across some vintage St. Patrick's items.  There's not much out there and it's hard to find.  But, that's okay by me.  It all fits in a shoe box, which is great in the fact that it takes hardly any room to store, but it also is problematic because sometimes I can't find it among all the holiday tubs.


It all fits on my pseudo mantle.  The big Beistle Leprechaun was new this year.  I actually found two of them, but I only put one out.  He came with the other die cuts in the window frame.


A few little Leprechauns, some green things and  a pack of Dennison labels.  


That green hat was a waaaaaay after Christmas 10¢ markdown find.  I think it was a gift box.  But, with a little gold braiding, it became the perfect St. Patrick hat.  The Annalee is really a gardener, but she works in her in a pinch.  A PINCH!  HA HA HA.  Oh, I do amuse myself sometimes.  (It's late).


Ah, there he is in all his giantness.  He's really great.  Alas, he will not fit in the shoe box.


Some wee party hats, game cards and an old Hearts game card round it out.  

I have a lot of vintage Easter and it's some of my favorite stuff.  But, for some reason, I don't always get it out.  I don't know why.  I haven't decided this year.  I donated a lot of it last year.  I might be brutal and really downsize it this year.  Ha.  I say that then I see the foil eggs, chenille chicks and German bunnies and think I LOVE IT ALL.  We'll see what happens.  

Have a happy St. Patrick's Day!  

Don't get pinched!  

3 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten any of my Easter out yet either. Love the big green guy! He's probably life-size. Not that I've met a Leprechaun in real life or anything, but just in my imagination they're shorter than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm down to a small box of St Patricks day stuff. I do have a few plates I love with shamrocks on them. Moving on to a simpler Easter this year also. By golly, I think I'm getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww - what a sweet display! Not overwhelming but lots to see and keep you interested. A fellow from the office brought in green Krispy Kreme doughnuts yesterday. I guess it's a thing - he said the place was mobbed. I did confirm that (1) I like the donuts (2) I hate sprinkles and (3) Krispy Kreme coffee still tastes like rotgut to me. I haven't eaten sprinkles in a looooooooong time, I mean decades. And I still can't stand the texture. How the heck did I segue to Krispy Kreme . . .

    I love the cards in your display. But that adorable Leprechaun will turn evil tonight and chase me in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers