What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

It's Almost Valentine's Day

My Valentine Decorations have been up for a week or so.  I know that when I show my decorations people always ask how I have time to put it all out and where do I keep it all.  Some holidays take up massive amounts of room (Christmas, I'm talking to YOU!) and others are neat little boxes. My Valentine decorations fill up one plastic tub.  Most of it is small and made of cloth and paper so it is flat too boot.  Easy to store on a shelf in the garage.

And so begins the tour.


Whenever I post a photo on IG of this setup everyone tells me they love my mantle.  Well, it isn't a mantle - just an old window and a shelf on the wall above the couch.  Old windows have come and go in decorating, but I have had my windows on the walls since about 1995 and I could never take them down since all my holiday stuff fits on them perfectly.   This is a mish-mash of Heart to Heart swap items and a few things I have found and added to the Valentine display.  

Someday I will find a stash of pretty old candy boxes at a sale.  I will, I tell you, I WILL.  Until, then the one and only candy box The Breadman ever bought me will have to do.  


Obligatory Annalee doll and a few other fun things.  Love that new book of Valentines.  I bought it new so I could use it in crafts, but I couldn't bear to cut it up either.  There is something wrong with me, people.



My chocolate covered cherry boxes are still one of my favorite collections.  Hate the candy, love the boxes.  Although, I will admit that a good quality chocolate covered cherry is good.  Just not those cheap boxed ones at the grocery store.  They make my throat itchy.  


This long window holds a glittery L-O-V-E, a giant vintage flash card and some old German bears (that I need research and maybe sell).  


One of my favorite Heart to Heart swap items from the past years.  


The big wreath I made for the show last week didn't sell, but that's okay.  I like it just fine.  More swap items and some of my favorite cards.  I keep my old stampers and my "11" collection on this shelf normally, so I just added in the Valentine stuff.  That's why you see "11" and not "14".  :)

The thing I did this year that was new that I LOVE is this:


I have so many wonderful handmade Valentines from ten years of swap and I had no way to display them all.  I took a string of Baker's Twine and strung it across the bay window.  Then I used baby binder clips and strung them all up one after the other.  I love the way it made one big happy bunting across the window.  The best part is - I have a b ox of fourteen more Valentine's coming tomorrow! Woot!


I figured out how to use the Panorama setting on my phone.  I like it, but you can sure see my messes that I like to hide.  Like the Minions we won in the claw machine but haven't homed out yet, my pile of crafting crap by the couch and so one.  We'll just look at the pretty decorations and the pottery and not talk about the messes okay?  Besides, Minions are happy and fun too!

8 comments:

  1. Love your displays. And collection of chocolate cherry boxes? Who knew! They are so great. Making a heart wreath is on my list. Great way to display your sweet cards.

    Happy Valentines Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOTTA HAVE MINIONS!
    Loving your décor as ALWAYS!!
    HAPPY V-D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the displays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying your Valentine collections. Not much into it all this year, a few hearts out is all.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your valentine bunting! Brilliant idea. You really have great collections. I own that same "new/old" valentine book and haven't brought myself to cut them up either. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bunting! Great idea.... I love all of your treasures, Shara. It all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your lovable-quirky-specific collections - chocolate covered cherry boxes, 11 collection. You're the reason why that's going to be a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your Valentines decorations, and awe, thanks for the love on my swap item! It made my heart smile (but not my fingers, those were a @#$#@ to make lol) I missed the swap this year, I just didn't have the time. When I pulled out my swap items from last year it really made me regret not doing it though! Love, love love how you hung them all from string, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers