What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Day Before Bargains on Galore

The day before I went to Baragins Galore on 64, we cleaned out the car and laid the seats down flat "just in case".  I mean, you never know what you might find to buy.  Then, that afternoon, a fellow junker invited Lara and I to come pick her cast-offs.  Now, if I have any cast-off's, it is JUNK. Broken, dirty - no longer good for a damn thing.  But, luckily I have been able to pick cast-offs that were way better than some of the junk I go LOOKING for on the weekends!  Lara bought a bunch of small furniture and some other things - perhaps she will blog it soon.  I knew I was leaving the next morning to go to ALL THE yard sales, so I was trying to not buy much.  But, then the picking fever hit and well...here you go.  Besides, if you see good junk and you have cash in your pocket - you better buy it.  

I got a cutter tablecloth, some marquee letters that Lara found and put in MY pile and now I feel like a heel about it...... and a few other things.  



This old storage organizer was without drawers when I found it and it thought it would be great to hold flash cards.  Lara and Paula convinced me to take the drawers too - just in case I needed them someday.  OKAY.  


This nice tall hanging rack is right up my alley.  I love old display stuff, not sure why or what I will use it for - but for $4.00 - I snagged it.  I am thinking Vintage Christmas goodie bags at the Junk Ranch.  I got a smaller tabletop one too.  Love my display stuff......


Now, you know my love of old handmade baskets.  This one is a doozie.  HUGE.  It filled up the back half of the car!  I have never seen one SO BIG.  I have no place for it, but yet, I could not seemingly leave it.  It will be great for a display.  Or maybe I will sleep in it.  HA. That coloring book is one of those giant ones you have to lay on the floor to color - about two feet tall.


Fun old Santa.  He has a few worn spots, but don't we all?


This old handmade bird cage is fantastic.  I thought Lara was going to buy it, but she passed so I swooped in on it.  It's really tall - about three feet or more.  I think it was red, but it's a faded out sort of pinkish color now.  RIGHT UP MY ALLEY.  It must surely go to The Junk Ranch.  SURELY!

I also bought an old metal door off an old cabinet to use as a memo/magnetic board that is pretty cool.  

And, that very morning, I had made a shopping list and written "Roll of cork" on it for a project.  And what do you think I bought??????  THREE rolls of CORK.  Ta Da!

I'm ashamed to tell you that I only paid $18.00 for all of this goodness plus things you aren't even seeing.  I take that back.  I am not ashamed!  Thanks for a fun night, Paula!

*Stay tuned...There's a Day After post too.  I'm Junk Drunk over here.  


9 comments:

  1. Junk drunk is good, it won't get you thrown in the pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Good stuff - love the bird cage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Good stuff - love the bird cage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being 'junk drunk'!! The display shelf is way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love that pink bird cage!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that wire display shelf, I can never pass up good wire displays. It will look awesome at JR full of your fun bags o' junk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the display rack! Can't wait to see the rest of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't drive while you're junk drunk! Great finds. You're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll never forget the time I was headed out of town on a junkin' trip and hit an amazing estate sale about 10 minutes from my house. I had to go home and unload my car before I could head out on my trip. What an awesome feeling!!

    That basket is awesome. If you sleep in it, you'd better post a pic on IG :-)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers