What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

The Week in Junk: Goodie Baggies Galore

This are definitely picking up in the land of junk around here.  Thursday I went to a sale that is a favorite of mine and then I returned on Friday for another round plus I hit about five other sales along the way.  I have lived in my house for 20 years and I know the area very well.  Most times when I see a sign on a street or road, I pretty much can guess which house is having the sale.  I am usually right. Most of the people usually remember me and ask how my son is doing and how old he is now. I mention this because I went to Jean's sale and I only know Jean from going to all of her sales over the years and I stopped at Billy and Wanda's house that I only know because they have a plate on their truck with their names and those were The Breadman's parents names and from going to their sales all these years.  Since I know what they might have and how the prices are - those are the sales I return to over and over.  I also know which houses to avoid for the very same reasons.  I'm sure that's true for most of you too, but I really just thought about that this weekend when I did a street view on Google and saw a familiar house and knew there would be good stuff there.  And, I was right!  


From Billy and Wanda's sale.  $3.00 for the pair.  I have been finding blowmolds every weekend. The good thing is they sell for good money.  The bad thing is you can't flip them immediately.  You have to wait until the season rolls around.  So far I am out about $20.00 for ten blowmolds - but I should make about $200.00 or more later.  That's worth saving, I think.  

The sale that I went to twice - the couple have several flea market booths and attend copius amounts of auctions.  They have a ton of stuff.  Even their booths are low priced and chock full of cool stuff. They have these great sales where they sell off  the rejects at silly low prices.  My favorite thing is the baggies.  Jean fills up baggies with odds and ends - like things like toys, kitchen gadget, key chains, figurines, etc. and then prices then from 25¢ to $1.00 each.  I love these baggies.  Almost too much. If I see one thing in the baggie that I like I buy it  - especially if it is only a quarter!  I think a bit harder if they are $1.00, because that adds up.  When I get home and start opening the baggies - it is just SO exciting.  Silly, I know.  But, it's like the school goodie bags where you don't know what you are getting, but you know it will be good. I do cull out a lot of stuff and donate it to Goodwill.  I keep anything that I want to keep or that I can use or that I can sell.  This time I got a bunch of packages of lace, seam binding, buttons to cover, sequins, zippers and rolls of gorgeous old velvet ribbon that I put in my craft cabinet and didn't bother to photograph.


And all this random stuff.  It was like Christmas morning!    Single shakers, old toys, bits and bobs of this and that, a Gurley Angel, Spun chicks, millinery flowers, chalkware nativity figures including Baby Cheeses, porcelain animals and so much more.  It's like an I-Spy isn't it?  I sold the two Strawberry Shortcakes on Instagram, so I am doing good already.  Most everything else will go to the Junk Ranch.  


There was a Kneehugger in one bag.
You might have guessed he's a keeper.

I bought a ton more, but  lot of it already put away or took to one of the booths.  Sorry about that.  


I paid 50 cents for the old metal suitcase - the scales and things were in the FREE box.  I cleaned everything up so its still rusty, but not all filthy.  The scales work.  I think.  I sure as hell didn't stand on them.  But, I pressed on them and the dial turned.  That's good, right????  

The old suitcase is beat up and rusty, but it has a ton of charm if you like that sort of thing.  I do.  Great old label too.  

The paper on the inside is neat as well.  Not sure if this is something that would sell.  I think it will, but I think I might use it to hold a lot of my ephemera.  Just open it up and BAM, you're done!  

My thrift senses went into overdrive when I was near a thrift that I never go to do to HIGH prices. Like, crazy high.  But, I decided to stop because you can't ignore those senses.  The best thing I discovered was that the prices had gone down a lot plus nearly everything was a certain percent off too.  I got a Scrabble game and an Othello game (our favorite) each for $2.00, then they were half off that.  DEAL-E-O!  

I also bought a cool little display rack that held Jibbetz - those "decorative" things you stick in the holes of Crocs.  It's a cool little rack that I think I can use for something.  Just not sure what yet.  I'm thinking buttons.  (That's a photo form the 'net.  Mine looks just like it though).


I was super happy to find this giant red gumball machine.  It's from 1985, which isn't exactly vintage in my book, but they seem to be popular right now.  It will head to The Junk Ranch.  It needs to get out of my house, because I am kinda digging it.  And I don't need it!  

Saturday there was a community wide sale about two miles from my house and a 100+ vendor yard sale at the Fairgrounds.  Guess what?  I didn't even go to any sales that day.  I'm happy to find one sale and score a couple of goodies.  The idea of lines and competition just don't get me excited about going to big events like that anymore.  The idea of it sounds fantastic.  But actually going...eh.  

Did you find anything good this weekend?  I think I actually had more fun on the journey than actually scoring GOOD JUNK. but I still had a good time. 


Okay, BYE now!  

(Spotted at a scary ass sale.  Aiiiee!)

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure you already know I ADORE "poke sacks" so I would have been all over those baggies. Love the elephants!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the loot from the baggies. I would definitely be buying baggies if anyone did it here. That doll scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought one of those gum machines when the first came out, mine is blue. I gave it to Otter a few years back and it's now a major part of her decor in her apartment. I think they are very popular, if you decided to sell it you will probably be able to without any difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that is one scary ass doll. NOT the way I wanted my Monday to start. Thanks for that, Shara :-)

    The baggies sound like so much fun! I've seen lots of vendors do that at flea markets and shows but for way more moola than what you are paying. They all need to take a tip from Jean.

    Have a great week!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I bought a "vintage" gumball machine similar to yours and filled it with old dice that I had been hoarding for years. I got it about half full. I gave it to my brother for Christmas this past year, because he collects dice. He was able to fill it the rest of the way up with his collection. He really digs it because all the dice are in a secure place now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could have warned me about that doll. Good thing I have my therapist on speed dial. Looking good junk-wise. I love me a good grab bag or box is the case may be. I bought four mystery boxes of comics over the weekend and had a blast going through them last night. You're right. It is fun to open them up and take everything out. I've sold several of that style of gumball machine. I think they're pretty popular as decor pieces. Looks like you are gonna rock the junk ranch again. It's getting close!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw several things I would buy from the box-o-junk! Love baggies of goodies also. Don't see them as much around here but they are fun for .25 and worth the chance.
    hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those baggies would be so much fun to pour through. You are the blowmold magnet! Super jealous and happy for you. I was smiling at your scale description of how you determined that it still works. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did the baggie thing when my Mom died. Small town and lots of stuff. Of course this was before I started selling on Etsy, dang it! Love what you got and seriously, blowmolds for a few dollars each! Doesn't happen around here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally with you on the big events. Thats why I avoid estate sales, soo many people and the competition nerves me out. I like to happen upon little sales that nobody else is at. I love your box of random junk. That always reminds me of my childhood. My teacher and my dentist both had a drawer of random little stuff that we got to pick from. Its why I love small little bits and bobs today :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You didn't buy that doll!!! That could have been your mascot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those little baggies are the best...I am always looking through them when I find em. I love my bubble gum machine...it sat in my grandfather's attic for years. It was my aunts and probably is at least 50 years old...now it sits in my house full of vintage dice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the metal suitcase. I wouldn't be selling it if it were mine! LOL, as soon as I saw the creepy doll, I thought of poor EM and how creeped out he would be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice finds, Shara! I know EXACTLY how you feel about baggies for a quarter! To find one little treasure amongst the junk, it's just like Christmas morning! Be still my heart!
    love rosie

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers