What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, March 02, 2015

Phone Dump Part II

My last phone dump post seemed to amuse everyone, so here we go again.

I thrifted this old wooden crate of some sort to use at Lara and I's booth.  We only have these wide set shelves and displaying small things is a task.  I think this works well to hold our things.  Until someone wants to buy it.  It is marked NFS, but that won't stop them.

Here are the Domino Pendants I said I was going to make.  I really love these - they turned out super cute.  When you wear them, if they turn over you can see the bling-y pink rhinestone domino side.  I am putting on the finishing touches and then I will have them in my IG shop @monkeyboxvintagejunk  I made some out of regular white dominoes with the black dots too.  Now, I am on a Domino finding mission.  I swear I see them ALL THE TIME, but now that I am on the hunt - nadda.  

Every time I go to the Salvation Army they seem to have an endless supply of "hooker heels."  Who buys these?  Who donates these?  Who re-buys them?  I actually kind of like the glittery material.  

I spotted this book out thrifting.  I mean, really?  One page inside had the kid picking it off and blood gushing out on to the floor.  I mean, I really want to write a book.  But it all the ideas have been used up, I guess I should just forget that little fantasy.  

This was at Wal-Mart.  Poo-Dough.  Looks like the real thing and even came with a "mold".  
Really?  REALLY?  

Today's thrift finds.  Tow old readers, a vintage book, German foil candy container egg (super happy to add this to my stash), Happy Birthday cake topper and a vintage deer.  I went to five thrifts today and this was all I found.  I'm happy that I found a few things, but really - FIVE STORES!

Thrifted this vintage microphone at the SCT last week.  It will go to The Junk ranch - I sold one for $20.00 last time to the sweetest young boy.  I love kid junkers.  <3 p="">
This was on the local news last week.  A DUSTIN of snow.  I mean, come ON.  Our local news station - I SWEAR is run by monkeys on the weekends.  It is so full of mistakes, misspelled words and wrong camera shots.  A Dustin of snow is hilarious though.  

Shots of feet are my pet peeve.  So, the mere fact that I even took one is funny itself.  But these are my $2.00 thrifted Wellies that I was dying to wear for the first time.  They are #madforplaid in honor of Heidi.  

A chance of freezing temperatures brought this Pinterest Science experiment scene to the front porch.  Can you guess what the cups and bowls would become? 

Ice toadstools!  They turned out pretty cool.  Nest time we make them I am going to put battery operated tea lights inside the base.  And make the tops with red food coloring.  Come on freezing temperatures!

So, there you have another phone dump.  Not as much as last time - you're welcome!

Hey!  It's going to be 62 tomorrow with thunderstorms.

Then ice on Wednesday. 

Then snow on Thursday.

I don't know after that because it's all just too weird.  

Stay cool!  Stay dry!  Stay warn! Stay of the roads!  

Whatever!

:)

P.S. My apologize if you follow me on IG as you have seen most of these photos on there!

9 comments:

  1. LOVE the Toad stools
    L.O.V.E. the willies
    and the pendants, well, they go without saying!
    *I have a plethora of dominoes that I NEED to divest - MAYBE a Swap of sorts?? Let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd write a great book. I hope some day you do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fun when you dump your phone photos! Love the randomness of it all!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't apologize. I'm finding that my IG posts are helping me organize my blog posts. Those toadstool ice sculptures are still on my to-do list and because we will have freezing weather until God knows when, I still have time! Enjoy your white stuff. I still would like to ship some of my snowbanks off to a few friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confession: I bought Poo Dough. :o I thought it would make a HILARIOUS White Elephant gift. And then I didn't get invited to any WE parties. Pretty sure I donated it because it was grossing me out to have around the house.

    YAY for the giant foil egg! My vintage Easter Holy Grail thrift finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The domino necklaces turned out super cute! That dustin of snow cracked me up. The scab book...eew! What mom buys their kid a book about scabs? There should only be one page and it should say DONT PICK THEM AND DONT EAT THEM. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The domino necklaces turned out super cute! That dustin of snow cracked me up. The scab book...eew! What mom buys their kid a book about scabs? There should only be one page and it should say DONT PICK THEM AND DONT EAT THEM. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually posted my very first foot photo on instagram last week. I always make fun of people that post them all the time, but hey it was snowing and I was shoveling the patio in my slippers :) Cute boots, btw.

    You'd better gear up for the Junk Ranch, because who knows I might just jump in my car and drive over (I won't even google it, because I know it has to be at least 10 hours if not 2 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, you know I love you to pieces, right? But I gotta say, this winter thing has gotta stop! We get what you get a day or two later. Now I'm sitting here with another freaking foot of snow on the ground and I'm worrying that the two awesome church sales set for Saturday will be cancelled. So, with all the love in my heart, I say: It's time to let the winter of 2015 go. There'll be another one.

    PS The worst thing about the Poo-Dough? That they expect people to pay 8 bucks for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers