What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, July 03, 2014

I Love A Parade

It just occurred to me that we really do more actual celebrating of the 4th of July than we do any other holiday.  We usually hit two parades and at least two firework shows.  This year we are only doing one parade, but have the possibility of three firework shows.  

Yesterday was the Rodeo of the Ozarks Parade.  It's the beginning of the Rodeo of the Ozarks and a tradition I have only missed two times since 1973.  I used to go with my parents when I was a kid.  We would sit on the corner of the Chamber of Commerce and all the dignitaries would ride part of the parade route, then their cars would stop at the Chamber and they would unload and sit in these tiny little bleachers known as the "Grandstands".  We sat on the curb right where the big wigs stepped up to make their way to the Grandstands.  I, being a cute little girl like politicians love, would get patted on the shoulder and said, "Why hello, little one!" and have my hand shaken as they made their way past.  For more years than I can remember, the main one to do this was Bill Clinton.  At that time, it wasn't unusual to see him riding around town in his little red convertible.  He often came out to the lake where we lived and visited his friends the Tyson family (of Tyson Chicken).  He would toot his horn as he went by as we were nearly always in the driveway - me skating or riding my bike.  As the years went by, his political career got bigger and bigger, but he still came out to the lake to visit.  No more in his little red convertible., but in the Presidential Motorcade complete with Secret Service Agents that stopped by the house and requested me pull our cars up closer to the house to prevent shooters from hiding behind them near the street.  Reality check  - no more small town America!  I met him later in life when he was the President too.  But, that is a story for another day.  

So, back to the Parade.  Since it is a political year - it was cram packed with politicians.  There was also a new highway being dedicated last night, so it was a two-fer for them.  They were in the parade, then opened the new road. 

Since it is the Rodeo Parade - you can image there are horses involved.  

Ropers on horses.

Tiny tots on horses.
(It took me the longest time to figure out that that hair is part the ladies and part the pony's tail.)

Rodeo Queens on horses.

For some reason, this horse turned and looked straight at me.  
The Bean laughed and said, "That horse stuck it's tongue out at you!"  
I thought he was kidding.
But look!  That darned house DID stick it's tongue out at me.  :(

The stagecoach is always there.  More horses, of course.  

You know what comes with horses?

Politicians watching their step, that's what.  
This is Asa Hutchinson.  
He's running for Governor and he's the first politician I have ever seen that WALKED.  
So, good for him!  
(Except for the horse poo, of course.)

If you have a horse, you can come ride in the parade.  

And hundreds and hundreds of people do just that.  
There are things other than horses, of courses.  :D
Vintage police cars.

Vintage fire trucks.

New big fire trucks that blast their horns and sirens.  That's the only part I hate.
And, the horse poo, of course.

Flags of the Rodeo sponsors.

Homemade floats.  People passing out candy.  I was there with my 18 year old son and my 75 year old father, yet we managed to score a full gallon size bag of candy.  They were giving ups huge handfuls.  Who am I to tell them "NO"?

Ronald McDonald.  
We have the worst Ronald McDonald.  
He's like 17 years old.  
It's just weird.  
The flags at the beginning.  We stood with our hands on our hearts.  
All those people over there could learn a little something about patriotism.  
Thank you very much.  

Tonight is Firework show #1.  
Hope you all have a wonderful and safe 4th!

8 comments:

  1. We have a neighborhood parade where all the kids decorate their bikes/wagons whatever. The whole neighborhood meets at 11 a.m. at the elementary school. Motorcycle police and a fire truck lead the way and the kids march down a few blocks and then back a few. The neighborhood deli comes and grills hot dogs for everyone. It is very Mayberry, USA.
    p.s. I also thought that woman had VERY long hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the vintage police cars and the fire trucks. Parades are always fun when everyone is in celebration mode. I had to scroll through the pictures again when I read Laurie's comment about the woman with the long hair. It did look like she had very long hair. Happy 4th!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rodeo parade is very like ours which will be tomorrow morning. We have an annual rodeo over the 4th and it has been going on for 101 years. Our parade is for the 4th but the rodeo also has a part of it.

    Wishing you a great 4th of July and a lot more candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make a suggestion to the parade organizers that they have people with shovels and decorated wheelbarrow in the parade to scoop the poop! That's what they do here and actually watching how efficient the pooper scoopers were with their shovels was also something to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard the theme song to Andy Griffith when I saw the vintage police cars. OMG, the horse sticking his tongue out at you is so damn funny. Wonder who HE was in a previous life? Our town still holds a rodeo, but hasn't done the parade in years. I think our city has gotten so strict with rules it took all the fun out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the story about Bill Clinton and the horse sticking out it's tongue is hillarious. How many people can say they had THAT happen - LOL! Have a safe and fun holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome pics, Shara. But really, now even the horse is being rude to you? When are you gonna get a break?

    Happy 4th!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did you do to make that poor horse mad??? I love your pictures. Can't remember if it was hot that day. Looks like it was hot and no shade to be found! I have a GREAT Bill Clinton story. You and I need to exchange our stories some day.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers