What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A VERY BAD THING and a Happy Thing Too

Today I went thrifting all by myself and I was on the quest for vintage Christmas.  This is my very favorite time of the year for thrifting.  I look forward to it all year long.  I found some good stuff and I was really excited about it UNTIL I went to pay and my money was GONE.  I think when I pulled out my cellphone, my money must have fallen out of my pocket.  I usually keep it in a coin purse, but my zipper broke recently.  So, I have just been putting the cash in my pocket when I go thrifting.  Anyway, I was absolutely SICK that I lost my thrifting "allowance" for the rest of the month.  I do hope that whoever found it needed it and will use it for something their family needs.  I've never lost much of anything in my whole life, I've never lost keys, or a cellphone or really any money that I can remember.  So, I'm taking this one hard - hard on myself for being careless.  Oh well, not much I can do about it and it wasn't like hundred of dollars or anything.  But, well, darn it!  Maybe I will fall back in love with my finds again, but for now I just see them and now how much I "spent" on them.  If I do, I'll take some photos and show you soon. Until then, think blowmolds, mercury glass garland, vintage ornaments and candy tins.  

Until then, I will show you my tiny cupboard.  When I bought it all those years ago, I thought I would sell it.
It was kind of ugly and badly painted.  But, once I put a coat of white paint on it, I sort of fell in love with it.  I recently started decorating it for the holidays which is fun since I have lots of tiny things in my stash.  
Tiny trick or treat pails.

Mercury glass acorns.

It lends itself well to wee little displays.  So, for Christmas, I decided to put my little Santa Mugs on it.
I liked it, but it needed something else.  I considered some tiny greenery, but I wasn't sold on the idea.  that's when I spotted my big jars full of my old miniature collection.  I used to collect miniatures back in my college apartment days.  I don't actively collect them anymore, but I do have a special love of little things.  

I do still love them and since they are tiny, I never felt the need to give them up or sell them.  So, I put them in big old blue Mason Jars and they are like big "I SPY" jars.  

ANYWAY.  

I went through the jars and picked out anything remotely Christmas-y or vintage-y or childlike and added it to the cupboard.  It's not my usual vintage-y style, but I am enamored of all this sweetness.  

I added in miniature Shiny Brites, a mercury glass Santa and a Spun Cotton Snowman. I made a miniature snowglobe out of a tiny jam jar with a green plaid lid (Thanks for the idea, Heidi).

A few vintage bottle brush trees, another snowglobe - this one in a red GINGHAM lidded jar, a couple angels and anther vintage Santa added in. 

This really made me fall in love with my miniatures again.  
And my Santa mugs.  
It's okay to still play with our toys at my age isn't it?

ISN'T IT?  

:)

6 comments:

  1. It's Adorable! I envy you your jars of miniatures. I love little things too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes...your cupboard and tiny things are so cute! AND I'm sorry to hear about your cash loss...sigh...it just sometimes happens...it's happened to me before as well! I do hope like you said, someone who really can use it, found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that sucks about the money! I got out to a couple thrift stores today and still no vintage stuff to be found. I'm beginning to wonder if there's someone in the back grabbing it all before it gets on to the shelves. Does that make me sound like a paranoid conspiracy theorist? OK, off to find gingham lidded jam jars! If I can't find vintage I will make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain about the money. Once, when I REALLY could not afford it, I got some cash back at a self check out and left the money. Of course I got to the car, came back and it was gone. I was so mad at my self. But it has made me more careful and I really don't lose things often. Hope whoever found it used it for something worthwhile. Now....I love your little cupboard ad especially dressed for Christmas. So darn cute. I too have a love of little things. This is so sweet and is making me smile...does that help any???
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I lost a $20 at an estate sale once. I think it came out of my pants pocket and that was a big bummer so I have lots of sympathy for you! :(

    Your tiny display is too, too cute! I know how tiny that little jar with the green lid was, so those Santa mugs have to be extra weency! I don't think I've ever come across any so small. I love your display because it makes you look close to see all the little details--your comparison to an I Spy book is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, it IS. I adore all your tiny treasures and they are perfect in your little cupboard.
    So sorry about the money..8+(

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers