What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

With All The Frills Upon It....

I love my vintage Easter decorations almost as much as I love my vintage Christmas decorations.  One of the first collections that I ever had was bunnies.  I've passed up the cutesy bunny stuff, but I still have a deep love for vintage bunnies.  I also think that there is nothing in the entire world as adorable as a chenille chick.  So, Easter is definitely a favorite.    

One of my very favorite things is this old revolving tiered dish chock full of all the tiny vintage things I have collected over the years.

I love to look at it for a day or two and then give it a quarter turn then I have all new vintage goodness to enjoy.
There's just so much yummy Easter goodness in there!

Then there's the pink Bunny that the Easter Bunny brought me when I was six years old.  He's about four feet tall including his ears.  He's a part of our family.

I've been lucky enough to pluck a few vintage bunnies out of toy bins at a couple yard sales.  That little pink one in the middle, he stays out year long because he is just so darn adorable.

Vintage Easter baskets and flocked bunnies.  The biggest basket on the right is my own Easter basket that I have had since my very first Easter.  I started picking up the flocked bunnies about a year after The Breadman's Mother died.   (I tell this story every year, so bear with me).  As we cleaned out her house, I would find a brown bunny in a drawer and a pink one on the dresser and then a yellow one in the kitchen and so on and so on.  I threw them in a box as I found them one  by one.  When the house was all emptied out, I had a big box full of about thirty of those bunnies.   I had them in the TO KEEP pile on a table, but a man that was helping us clean took them to the Salvation Army instead.  I wanted those rabbits!!!  So, now I have to buy them whenever I see them.  

My incredibly sweet Annalee bunny that came in the mail one day from sweet Heidi back when out friendship was just beginning.  I added the ducky slippers because, well, they fit

My collection of paper mache eggs.  Most are marked West Germany inside.  I love finding these at the thrift.  I rarely do anymore.  But, I'm always hoping!

Ode to a Chick.  Lots of chicky things, vintage postcards and other sweet things.  

Like I said, I love all my Easter things.  So, the sad thing is, I didn't put any of it out this year.  It is killing me not to see all my bright sweet happy things.  But, I am barely keeping my head above water right now with all my responsibilities   I guess if the one that that doesn't get done is putting out my Easter stuff, then that's not so bad.  But, boy do I miss it.  :(

Next year I will put out every Easter thing I own, boil a million eggs, buy a dozen chocolate bunnies and make ducky cupcakes until my arms fall off.  Come hell or high water.  

I hope you have some Easter good news at your house.  Happy Easter!

18 comments:

  1. You have bunnies in your heart and that is what counts! Lots of time for decorating down the road. Be sure to take care of yourself!! & Hoppy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great decor!! Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going through a drawer of my "treasure" the other day and one is pretty full of all things Easter. I thought of you but then, as you can see here, I didn't figure I could get them to you in time for Easter. Would you be interested even if they arrived late for this year? I have to empty my basement in the next couple months so the boiler guys can put in the new boiler and replace all the piping in the ceiling so the more stuff I can find homes for the better. Let me know if you want it, you have my email. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shinny - I hate to admit this - but I don't know who you are and your Blogger Profile is blank. I hate to say I don't know who someone is that reads and comments on my blog. FORGIVE ME!!!!!! :) You can email me at monkeybox@juno.com and enlighten me so I can apologize yet again. Sorry!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you at least have the photos to cheer you, Shara. You brighten our days out here in Blogland. Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore vintage Easter and try and pick it up whenever I can find it. It's not easy though! There is definitely not as much as there is vintage Christmas. I love your tiered display. I could look at it a million times and always find something new.

    Have a wonderful Easter,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter, Shara! I love your collections especially those vintage bunnies. Have a wonderful holiday and give my love to your family, especially your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Easter collection! Lots of great stuff! I am looking forward to swapping with you.

    kittykill/Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Everything is so wonderful! What a terrific collection. I see Pam has contacted you. I just love her and hope you will enjoy her as your swap partner. Be sure and watch her craft videos, they are such fun! Have a wonderful Easter! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be sure to take care of yourself, Shara. No one can do everything all the time without a little "me time."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is a '2013~THING'... I don't have a single Easter related decoration out either, oh well,
    C'est le vie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shara I'm in the same boat this year...no Easter at my house. I was gone for a month and home for two days and now at my daughter's. Just couldn't do it, but like you I shared photos and I too swear, next year it all comes out!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shara, I'm bummed for you that you didn't have the chance to get out and enjoy all your pretties because I know how much you adore your Easter things. I know the feeling well! I hope your burdens ease up soon so you can catch a breath. You're in my thoughts, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that Annalee bunny! His slippers are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you, I have had too many responsibilities to think about decorating very much, but I did manage to pull out about six rabbits and a few eggs. Just that little bit lifted my spirits. I hope you can manage to enjoy a few of your Easter treasures as well.

    Best,
    Laura from sundayview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have found all sorts of fun stuff for you! Just you wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'll have more time next year - Easter comes out late - like the 3rd week in April or something crazy like that.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers