What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Stuff I Bought, Stuff I Didn't Buy and Freebie

The Breadman is on vacation this week.  Having an extra person around the house all day makes things work differently.  Just little things - like there is this blue plastic cup that I drink out of every day.  Well, every day except the days he is off - he always gets it out and uses it.  Then I have to remember all day long that that is HIS cup and not MY cup.  Also, every TV in the house is on a sports channel at all times.  Hellooooo??? We watch Ellen at 3:00 - do not TOUCH that remote, MISTER!  And he leaves his outside shoes in the kitchen where I trip over them a hundred times a day.  Anyway, since we are starting to get on each other's nerves, we have planned a family Fun day tomorrow.  It has been a long time since we went on one of our adventures to somewhere new.  More about that later in the week....:)

Today we ran a few errands and if you are with me on errands, you will most likely end up at Goodwill.  I bought two things.  

This set of Algebra Review Cards.  There are hundreds and hundreds of cards in here.  I have no idea what most of them mean,   I got all excited when I saw them hoping they would be French or German or something else exotic and romantic - but Algebra?  Ick.  How unromantic and un-fun is Algebra? But, as you can see, I bought them anyway.  I thought I could use them as price tags or make bundles of them in the booth.  I don't know.

The other item was this round plastic ball with handles.  The boys couldn't guess what it was.  But, I bet you know.
A 1960's Picnic Ball.  Two big bowls, that come apart with plates, bowls, saucers and tumblers that all fit inside.  A neat concept when it's clean - but the thought of nasty old potato salad and baked beans and food scraps on the plates all snapped into a big ball.....Eh gads.  I've never seen out in person, so I grabbed it.  It is neat, but it will go on ebay.

Here's something I DID NOT BUY.  Are you reading that right?  I DID NOT BUY THIS!  Ready?
We've all seen these resin Snow Buddies at the thrifts.  In fact, I think they might be from the Dollar Store.  But, this one was HUGE!  About 2.5 feet tall and it weighed about fifty pounds.  It was freaking HUGE and freaking UGLY.  Don't forget - I DID NOT BUY THIS!

Earlier this morning, I went to a yard sale.  I spotted a box marked OLD YEARBOOKS, so I  had a look.  I found one from a tiny town near here and when I opened it up lookie at WHO I spotted!
The Breadman himself.  Bawhahahahahahaha.  But wait!  It gets better!  When I brought it home and showed it to him, I asked if he knew the girl it belonged to  and he said "NO".  
So, I showed him where he had written in it all those years ago.  I think he did know her!  It really is a small freakin' world when I an able to thrift my husbands actual yearbook.  (He never had a copy, so it was actually a pretty neat find.)  I am finding his whole sexual innuendo pretty fun - Have fun, "but not too much".  Bawhahahahahaha.

At the same sale, I spotted this old Velveeta box with some knives in it for sale.  I asked how much for the box and go the worst most dreaded response....."That's an ANTIQUE!"  There is not a chance in hell that VELVEETA will EVER even be considered an ANTIQUE - not even the next 100 years.  In the end, I got it for 50¢, so that is pretty cheap for a real ANTIQUE.

Since I am considered to be a "teacher" I get emails offering me freebies and samples a lot.  I had an offer from International Delights to send me a Teacher Appreciation gift so I signed up.  I was expecting a coffee cup or a few samples of International Delights.  What I got instead was six boxes of coffee creamer - 24 cups in each box - two each of Caramel, York Peppermint Pattie and French Vanilla.  Plus an entire box of Folger's Coffee pods, a coffee scoop, boxes of crayons, packages of stickers, notepads, and a slew of coupons.  I really almost felt bad about getting so MUCH stuff.  Notice I said "almost".  :)  I shared it with my family so it is being enjoyed by many people.  (If anyone really LOVES International Delights and buys them regularly, I will send you some $1.00 off coupons - just email me at monkeybox@juno.com).  

One of the best parts of the box was really just packaging.  It looks just like a vintage lunchbox.  I love it!  I'm going to have to think of a use for it so I can justify keeping it.  Any ideas???

One more thing - if you haven't downloaded the Prehistoric Photo App - you are missing out on some belly laughs.  The Bean.  Bawhahahahahahaha again.  











5 comments:

  1. You are always busy. your finds are great. I hope you and breadman get a chance to do something fun.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Love that picnic set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really made me smile! Finding the Breadman's old yearbook and his 'message' in it! Oh I have the same 'have fun but not too much' in mine from 1968~some things never change. LOVE that picnic set...fun to look at! I love International Delights creamer and use it daily! I'll email you! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you clarified SO MANY times that you did not buy the SNOW BUDDY. It was huge and ugly. Love the yearbook with the breadman's lovely message. Sometimes it is a small vintage world. I once got to go to a local pharmacy that closed and explore the basement and take what I wanted. I took some old photos that people had never picked up...like photos from the 50s. My mom, who had grown up in the neighborhood was in one of the photos. Insert twilight zone music....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just told my partner the yearbook story after reading it - LOL, great story!

    My heart skipped a beat when I saw the picnic ball in a local thrift & when I went to open it, it was empty. I was so bummed!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers