What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, December 04, 2011

If You Love Me, Smile

I bought this 1932 Algebra book the other day at the Super Cheap Thrift for 50¢.  I try not to buy a lot of vintage books.  They are cumbersome and don't really demand any real money.  But, most of all, I really, really, really do not like Algebra, so I do not need a vintage Algebra book. 

But, the dark green aged cover suckered me in first.   
Then I flipped through the pages and found drawings and funny notes and silly things.
There are even drawings of ladies in their undergarments.
 Notice, this lady in her undies is a "Hot Timally" aka "Hot Tamale".
She is also "Hot Stuff".
It was this little phrase written on the bottom of the book that made me buy it.
"If you love me, SMILE." 

I like it.

3 comments:

  1. Super cute book - are you going to use pages from it for your old paper packs? I have been collecting some too that I want to put on Etsy. I need to research those envelope type slip in bags to put the stuff in! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is how much attention I paid in Algebra class LOL! Not a math girl at all. Love the book. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love things with bits of character from previous owners! I have a Shedd's peanut butter can that in its previous life was a marble can. Carved into the paint on the top it says, "No more marbles this can is full". Can't you just picture a little boy scratching that into the paint? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers