What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ho Ho Ho HOT - Christmas in July

Our family is still knee deep in Grandma Drama and lots of other things.  Fun is something we have all been in short demand of and very much needed.  I was trying to think of something fun for the family - something cool, something fun, something cheap and something silly.  I looked at the calendar to see what was happening this month and my eyes landed on July 25th.  That's when I remembered Sarah's Christmas in July post from last year.
Christmas in July - just what we needed! I sent my Mom a Christmas Card and invited her and my Step-father over for a day of pure fun and silliness. We agreed that there would be gifts, but they had to come from inside our house - random things, things we don't want or need anymore, silly things, etc. We filled up a gift bag full of randomness and swapped them. I personally received a turkey baster, turquoise earrings, a melon baller, a teak box, a blanket and many, many other things. I gave toothbrushes, enchilada sauce, dental floss, plastic cups, books, Scotch tape, note pads, pencils, etc.
We had traditional Christmas Dinner. Turkey, bread, potatoes, vegetables, corn and cranberries. Well, actually, we had turkey hot dogs, potato chips, corn chips and salsa, relish tray and cranberry sauce. I couldn't think of a summer-y cranberry idea, so a can of jellied cranberries had to do. For dessert - full on Banana Splits. Delish!
I kept the decorations simple, summer and Christmas theme combined.  When I spotted this WARM WISHES sign in last year's 90% Target finds, I knew it was the perfect theme.  It was nearly 100 degrees on July 25th!
What do you see?  Mittens and snow pails?  Hmmmm...are you sure you don't actually see BBQ Mitts and Sand pails?  I do. 
Hot dog, hamburger, french fry and popcorn blown glass ornaments along with floral leis (that I scooped up at a yard sale the day before for 25¢) round out the tree decorations.
My Shiny Brite Wreath with the addition of drink umbrellas, another lei and one more "WARM WISHES" sign. 
No Christmas (in July or otherwise) is complete without a Blow Mold Santa.  This one wears a lei and is cooking out on the Barbecue.  I found that little BBQ a few years ago (another 90% off Target find) and never knew what to do with it.  It was worth it just for Christmas in July!  (The BBQ holds a mini ketchup and mustard bottle, S& P shakers and a Basting brush).

We had a lot of fun.  And, we really needed some fun.  I strongly recommend Christmas in July.  I know it won't be our last one!

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:20 AM

    Just wanted to say how lovely it is of you to think of something FUN for your entire family while you're going through tough times. Great perspective and so thoughtful! Your parents, husband and child are lucky to have you! Best, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how 'COOL' is that?!! I Love it, and may have to steal your idea - just for the fun of the decorating!!! It MUST have put some SMILES on everyones faces!! (If it didn't, then they don't deserve the smiles!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. let me know when you put the potholder loops from a few entries back on etsy. i have a friend who loved doing these and i found her a loom and tool but no loops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:05 PM

    OMG ! What a cool idea. I have never heard of anyone doing that, but yet it seems so fun! And in 5 months you get to do it all again ONLY bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally will do this next year! How fun and I love the exchange of gifts with just stuff from your home! Oh Now I wish it was July 25th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I may have to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you pulled this off on the spur of the moment. What a fun idea. And I'm glad you clarified about the turkey dinner~I couldn't imagine cooking a turkey in this weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice way to bring some joy to those around you. And I'm jealous. I never got a turkey baster or a melon baller. I have, however, received toothbrushes, dental floss, scissors, scotch tape and mac 'n' cheese in my Christmas stocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea and beautiful theme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Fun!!!
    Just found your lovely blog...so glad I stopped by. I look forward to following along with you on life's many adventures!!!
    Smiles Friend,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for that silly day! I loved to see the santas and decorations! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers