What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday's Thrifty Finds

Thursday is one of the few days that the Super Cheap Thrift is open, so that is pretty much my main thrifting day. I was able to go there, plus two yard sales and one Estate Sale today. Not bad for a Thursday!

The Super Cheap Thrift was stuffed to the gills. They had areas roped off because they were packed with boxes of donations. The volunteers were putting things out as fast as they could and it was really, really packed with stuff. Needless to say, I plan on going back OFTEN.

I spotted this sign at one sale. Pretty creative, right?



My finds for the day: A vintage Pebbles ala Flintstones doll from 1971 (she is missing the bone in her hair. That darn bone is the difference between a $40.00 doll and a $100.00 doll). A 1980's Strawberry Shortcake Doll, a Mammy-ish spoon rest (with a lot of crazing and age, so I know it's old), a reproduction Little Golden ABC book and a pile of paper umbrellas. Those paper umbrellas are simply huge. If you put one in your pineapple drink you would poke your eye out. I paid $1.60 for everything pictured.
A crazy vintage mug with a dude with rolling eyes in his head, what I believe might be another piece of Fenton, an "ivory" holder full of cocktail picks and another replica house for my Patriotic Display. This one is right here in town and somewhere we go often. I think I smell another collection coming on..... $1.25 for everything.

A super cool Sailor's Valentine frame encrusted with seashells, a stack of cards with sayings like, "Whoever gossips to you will be a gossip of you", a pair of sweet flower earrings, a brass bird, a sweet vintage potholder, a nice handmade egg basket, two Japanese silk bags and a sweet birdie cup all for $3.75. The little red doll was on a table at the Estate Sale. I picked it up and said, "Ahhh" because I always feel sorry for little abandoned baby dolls. The lady having the sale told me to take her - she had been waiting for someone to pick her up and show her some love. So, I did. When I was little, I always carried my Sunshine family baby around in my pocket.

A small doll's quilt in red, white and blue and an aluminum corn pone pan - both for $1.75. The Bean likes to cook and likes to use unusual utensils and pans. This one fit the bill!


And, my first picnic basket of the year for $2.00 I really prefer the Redman baskets, but I haven't found one of those in forever. I use a lot of baskets for storage. The lid is off on this one, but that's okay. I already have plans for this one.

Cat storage!

5 comments:

  1. You always find such great stuff--and such fab deals! Any basket, box or bag works for cat storage, but your kitty looked particularly stunning in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, great finds as usual. Off to look if there are any good sales today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to the sale at the Lutheran Church on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a good sale or two to take my mind off house cleaning, laundry...stuff like that!!
    Went to an estate sale this AM and found some hankies, table cloth with light stains and a couple nic nacs...I'm SO in the MOOD to Thrift..
    Happy Weekend.
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! Great that you spent under a couple of bucks at most of the sales too.
    I used to have the Sunshine Family as well - haven't thought about them in years.
    The Super Cheap Thrift sounds like it has some good finds in the future.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers