What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bunnies and Eggs

I know that Easter was a week ago and that a post about Bunnies and eggs may not seem appropriate. But, it was the theme of the day.

Mama Robin laid a third egg. I thought there were usually three eggs. And, now there are.

Mr. Bun-Bun has made his return to our yard. He has lived in our backyard for the past two summers. I get the biggest kick over him. We live across the street from a huge hayfield, but he chooses to live in our backyard. I had been worried about him since the ice storm and I have no idea what the lifespan of a bunny is, so I wondered if he would return. But, now he has.

A quick trip into Walgreen's today to pick up my FREE Earth Day tote bag netted these Russell Stover Dark Chocolate Bunnies for 5¢ each. Yes, that's right. Five Cents. I couldn't leave them!

A mad dash into Hobby Lobby for three pieces of shite polar fleece turned into a bit longer trip when I spotted the 80% off Easter aisle. I was good and didn't buy much. I was about to leave empty handed when I spotted this sweet little vintage looking girl on the bottom shelf.

And, when I spotted her boyfriend here, I knew I had to grab them. They were a total of $37.98, but $31.98 was subtracted, so apparently I paid $3.00 each for them. Cute!

On a different note: Have you seen the Penny Picker ads from CiCi's Pizza?


They are throwing one million pennies around the USA near their restaurants. If you see a penny, pick it up and it might have FREE CiCi's food on the back of it. I thought that idea was sort of silly and couldn't imagine anyone ever actually finding one. But, then, today, I spotted this on the ground at the Mall*.


And, being thrifty and environmentally conscience, I picked it up. And, when I turned it over I saw this:

A free kids' drink at CiCi's Pizza. Not that great of a deal and we didn't use it. But, it was funny that I actually found one of those darned pennies. CiCi's is actually several blocks from the Mall, so I guess they are spreading them around.

*Yes, I was at the Mall. If you have been reading this blog long, you know that I hate the Mall. Hate it. I wear Merle Norman make up and you can only buy it at the *&%#% Mall, so three times a year like it or not, I trudge myself to the Mall and buy my Make up. Today was no exception to the "I Hate the Mall" rule. The girl at Merle Norman was particularly rude, the whole Mall reeked of the Dillard's perfume counter and I was nearly trampled by three elderly Mall Walkers. I am already dreading my next trip to the Mall. In four months.



5 comments:

  1. I gave up wearing makeup completely about 10 years ago and wow, it's been great! Don't think anyone particularly noticed when I stopped and it hasn't kept me from getting jobs or having a good time. I figure guys don't have to wear that stuff--how did women get convinced we can't be seen without it?

    Besides, I can use what I'd spend on makeup better at yard sales!

    Those bunnies are too cute, and such a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you see a penny, an angel is thinking of you! It's amazing the number of times I have been having a bad day and find a penny. It always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bunny families that live in our woods love Spring because my neighbor's tasty flowers start blooming. They go over there, have dinner, and then hop back over to our lawn to recover from the big meal. And remember: "See a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I was at the dreaded mall yesterday, too, to exchange my free shoes from New York and Company. That's what I get for being lazy and not trying them on the day I bought them. I would have saved myself a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the mall. Justin and I used to go there regularly to walk off dinner and to keep ourselves out from in front of the TV.

    Love the robin's eggs...and I am SOOOOO jealous of those bunnies from Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers