What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, March 23, 2009

That Great Aunt Was One Cool Chick

Sunday morning I was doing my morning check on Craigslist for treasures, when I noticed that there were four yard sales in my town that day. Sunday sales are pretty much unheard of, but Saturday had been a rainy day, so any yard sales that had been planned were cancelled. The Breadman was keeping to himself and being pretty cranky, so The Bean and I headed out to see what we could find. On our return trip home we found The Breadman headfirst in the toilet hurling his guts up. That explained the cranky mood....
I only bought things at one sale, and what I did buy was sort of out of my normal realm. I noticed some vintage clothes on the racks and then I noticed a $1.00 a bag sign, so I started picking up a few things. In the end, the lady told me to take all I wanted for only $1.00. She said they belonged to her Great Aunt she was just happy that someone wanted them. I'm not sure if any of these are worth reselling, but I plan on washing them up and giving it a try.

Fun very stretchy 1960's purple and black zigzag blouse.


Whoa, a vertical zigzag rainbow colored blouse.....very 1970's.
A fun red terry cloth swimsuit cover up. The Great Aunt must have like it because...


She had a red one, a white one and a blue one. How Patriotic!

This sundress has a little pair of matching shorts that goes with it. Love that split and little bow.
A very sheer see through swiss dotted sleeve blouse. Oh la la.

This silky skirt and blouse set has a belt and buckle theme.

This is the item I really wanted, so everything else was just gravy. A vintage tennis dress complete with green tennis racket waist.

Another vintage tennis dress.
I'm not sure if the Great Aunt really swam and played tennis. I'd say she was more of a sit by the pool/tennis court with her Tom Collins kind of gal.
(By the way, the Breadman went to bed, got up a few more times to visit the porcelain throne and then went back to bed. He seems to be fine today. And, no one else got the Creeping Crud from him.)
**Yes, those are sleighbells on the front door. In March. That is my Hillbilly Burglar Alarm. ;o)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:03 PM

    I love your finds! Please let us know where you wind up trying to resell them - I would be very interested in the first two pictured (zigzag) and the funky sundress with big slit, and the tennis dresses! Thanks - Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. love those clothes! I once found a huge box of old clothes at the Salvation Army yard sale...there were some really cool things in there!

    On another note...I hade some bell thingies on my door as well..that way I always knew when someone was coming in or going out!

    Stop by my blog if you like..I am having a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the offer...I will let you know. Justin will be there this summer and we are making a list, not only for us, but for an American friend who lives near me. I will never forget my first Spring in NWA..or my last. The world seems to come alive in the blink of an eye. I love all the trees, especially that magnolias and redbud...but I am allergic to those Bradford pear trees. I hate that you will have snow...maybe the gods will smile down upon NWA and the snow will go the other way! Will keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers