What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Of Wrecks and Junk

I had an email today from The Queen of Fifty Cents telling me that my now famous birthday "monkey" cake was being featured today on Cake Wrecks. She said she had "outed my cake" to Cake Wrecks. I had submitted it too shortly after my birthday, and received a nice email from Jen, Ms. Cake Wreck herself, declaring her horror of the so-called "monkey". But, it hadn't shown up yet, so I thought it might not be wreck-worthy.

But, then I took another look at it, and knew it had to be Wreck worthy. So, thank you Queen for letting me know that it finally made it. Be sure to read some of the comments on Cake Wrecks. Too funny!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I made a quick run to the Super Cheap Thrift today. I have really good luck finding books there to use for our homeschooling. So, I hate to miss an opportunity to go when I know they are open. Today I found a good Science book, a 7th grade Health textbook and a big book all about trains - how they are made, how they run, how they came to be, etc. All for 25¢ each. So, worth the trip. So, anything else was just the proverbial icing on the ugly monkey cake, right?

Set of very heavy metal "Thinker" bookends. I saw these at a yard sale last Friday for $5.00. Got them at the thrift today for 75¢. I love it when people price things high and then donate them!

Three old metal receipe/filing boxes. I thought I could use them in my craft supplies that I am trying to get organized. I've mentioned before that the pricing can be odd at this thrift - different people volunteer every day and price things differently. Case in point - these boxes. One was 25¢, one was 35¢ and the third one was 50¢. Go figure. Still, $1.10 isn't bad for three nice old metal boxes.

Now for the "Oh, no you did-un't" purchase. A pair of scarecrow bunnies. I do not need these. I have too much fall decor. I have too much Halloween decor. I do not need these. I picked them up three times and put them back. But, that fourth time, in the bag they hopped. Especially after I saw they were only 25¢ each. I do not need these. I want them!

Outside the store they are still throwing random things in a box for FREE. I dug these two old tins out of a box and had The Bean run them to the car. They are old and have neat old pictures on them, but aren't overly special. But, for FREE, why not?

And, lastly, a set of homemade "Snowbabies". They are cute/ugly. Homemade ceramics, covered in glitter. Actually, they are sort of sweet and I know someone worked hard to make them. I know that this Christmas, nestled in some greenery with some twinkly lights, they will be cute and the ugliness won't show. Much. They were 25¢ each. The lady at the counter "ooh'ed" and "ahhh'ed" over them and showed them to everyone in line saying how CUTE they were. Glad I didn't mention I found them to be borderline ugly. She might have kept them!

4 comments:

  1. I know we all must aspire to being featured on Cakewrecks!

    What fabbo finds at the thrift store! Those tins will be perfect for gifts of cookies, and I hate to say it but the snow babies are kinda cute. And if you feel passion for those bunnies, by all means spend the fifty cents on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great treasures you found! I love finding old tins...and for free too! I'm not too fond of the snow baby line, but those do look kinda cute!

    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:54 PM

    i'm so bad.i bought a set of 8 black snowbabies and used them in a wreath that included a black barbie doll in a santa suit, three cut-out wooden H's, three cut-out wooden O's, a disco ball ornament and a string of flickering multi-colored lights. i sent it to my uber racist friend who hung it on the inside of her door. we named the barbie AWREATHA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw the same "thinkers" at a garage sale today....too funny. You weren't in Oklahoma when you found them were you?...lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers