What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Good Eats, Good Mail, Good Fun

Good Eats:
I've been on a felt food kick as of late. I have a little cousin that will turn two in October, so I am making him a colleciton of play food for his upcoming birthday.
This slice of pizza was my most recent project. It turned out the best, but took the most amount of time. I wish I would have thought to use the piniking shears for the lettuce on the hamburger. I may have to open it up and "pink" the lettuce.
Breakfast - Pancakes and an egg. I tried to make bacon or sausage, but as a non-meat eater, I'm having touble getting it to look right since I really have no experience with what it looks like! I might be able to handle a slice of ham. Hadn't thought of that.
And, dessert. I made him the two cookies, but the cake slice and cupcake are from my Valentine's decorations. I made those as well, I just left them out to remember to make Luke some too. I hand sew them all and don't use any sort of pattern. Any ideas of more play food that I can make? Meatless and safe enough for a two year old???
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good Mail:
I always know when a swap is enroute and expected, but every once in awhile you get a little good happy mail completely unexpected and out of the blue and it just makes your day! That's what I got this week. Unexpected Happy Mail!
It was so unexpected, in fact, that I could not for the life of me figure out who had sent it! The sender had the same last name as my Maiden name and I could not place her on my family tree to save my life. Well, once I opened it, I found it was from Andie and the last name was just a coincidence. She sent me a litle Green Shamrocky Happy Mail as a thank you for turning her on to that $2.00 Sharpie deal a few dweeks ago. It wasn't necessary, but Thank you Andie!
~~~~~~~~~
Good Times:
This chair is at the entrance to "Oops". I would love to have this in my yard.
The Bean and DH hopped right up there. I tried to get in it, but even with the helpful box under it, I couldn't get my stubby legs up there. It sucks to be 5'2"! I probably could have made it up there if I would have really, really tried, but I didn't think I would ever be able to get out of the deep seat!

I can see the headlines now, "Woman stuck in chair! Film at 11:00." Ack!

5 comments:

  1. My neice made felt strawberries for her kids play food. They turned out pretty well and she said that they were easy. If I can find a picture, I'll email you but I don't know if I still have the pictures or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know I love felt so it almost goes without saying that I love your felt food! It is such an adorable gift idea. Perhaps you could make some fruits and veggies? Like maybe apples, bananas, broccoli, or peppers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! That felt food is too cute! Crafster.org, I know, has some cute felt food ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try here:
    http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=222947.0

    If that doesn't work (not sure if you have to be signed up or not), try this:
    http://alltwistedup.blogspot.com/2008/01/fabulous-felt-food.html

    She gives directions on the crafster site though and not on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutest felt food!
    How about toddler favorites? Grilled cheese, tater tots, chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly, french fries?

    Oh the ideas and now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers