What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Whoopsie Doodle

***Doh! That last post wasn't ready to be posted - just saved. Dad Gum New Fancy Blogger!*** ~Sorry~!

Here are the pictures of my finds this week:



These hurricane candle hohlders are so very pretty. They really don't fit into my Early American Garage Sale Decor, but I had to grab them at the $2.00 bag sale.



Thee items are sitting on an old metal two-tiered turntable for spices or something. I will use it in my new "Get Yer Butt Organized" lifestyle I am trying to incorporate. On top is a Bride and Groom Snoopy, a miniature china hutch and a miniature wire rack with itty bitty pies on it. Too cute! 55¢ for everything including the turntable.



This is the orange-ish Fire King Mixing Bowl that I got for $3.00 at the Salvation Army. This horrid color of orange is DS's fav-o-rite color. When he was little he loved it and I really thought (*hoped*) he would grow out of it. But, alas he has not. I am trying to get him some vintage orange items for his...can I say it...first place or perhaps his wedding. I can't beleive I said that!!! Wah!



In the background you can see the fruity tablecloth. I really have no practical use for vintage tablecloths, but I just love them! Right now they are all stacked on a shelf above my washer just for me to see. On top of the tablecloth is a really nice rolling pin that I got for 25¢ at the Church Sale. The ladies having the sale were ooh'ing and aaah'ing over it. I figured they'd quote a high price, but it was only a quarter. I have some issues with my wrists and hands, so I think this will be easier to use than the one with the handles. I don't make pies, but I do make pizza a lot. I also picked up the little nut set at the $2.00 bag sale. The little individual bowls are only about the size of half a golf ball.



These three tablecloths were 50¢ each. I set the table for birthdays and holidays. I have been needing a red tablecloth for DH's Arkansas Razorback themed birthdays. The green linen one will work well for Christmas with a vintage Christmas one on top. The litle doll looked like a Rushton, but it isn't that old. She is still cute. There is a wind-up mechanism on the back that makes her head move while she sleeps. She was 10¢.

We headed out this morning for some saling, but at the second sale it broke loose and started pouring. It only lasted a few minutes and then it quit. And when it quit, it got hot. Really hot. So we quit saling. I did get two old Atlas Good Luck canning jars with the clover on the front. I paid $2.00 each, which is more than I like to pay, but they still had the glass lids and rubber seals, so they are useable. And, since that's all I bought, I suppose $4.00 was an affordable saling day.

Hope everyone founds some treasures today. Happy Hunting!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:51 AM

    Shara-
    SHAME ON YOU for trying to discourage DS's love of orange!! It's my Favorite too!! The bowl is beautiful, and the boy has good taste!! 8-)
    svelteSTUFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange bowl actually isn't so bad! I kinda like it :) You could use it for Halloween candy if nothing else! Oh--and it would look good on the table for Thanksgiving!

    As usual you had good luck with your saling! I went out with my sister who came up from Florida for the weekend and we found lots of treasures. Actually, I think I created a monster--she spent almost thirty dollars at the sales..LOL


    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wellllll, you could actually put the tablecloths on your table, which is what I do, or you could just send them all to me! (wink)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers