What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Here's a picture of my thrift finds from yesterday. I notice now that it is a little fuzzy because I sometimes forget to put the camera on Macro setting once I turn it off. Doh! I mentioned the vintage Christmas items yesterday. I love the little porcelain baby. Her little muslin body is handmade and not very professional. Very homemade, but very cute. Her little diaper even has hand crocheted trim. She was a whole quarter. There are a few pieces of costume jewelry -one of which has three little carved figures on the end to it. It is very interesting. I just love cool old vintage jewelry, but don't have the nerve to wear much of it. I am a little gold hoop kind of gal.
This is the jewelry that I wrote about last wekend from my step grandmother's estate. It's like a big box of chocolates looking in at this jewelry. I love the big chunky oranges and green facet cut beads and the red chunky beads too. The pearls are a pearl collar that would go over a plain colored sweater or a nice blouse - It's not me - but it is pretty.
The set in the box is fantastic. It is Aurora Borealis and in brand new condition. All the earrings are clips. She was a collector of elephants so many of the pins and brooches are elephants. There are a few elephant necklaces too. The upper left corner section is full of Christmas pins and matching earrings. I might convert some of them to pierced and wear them this Christmas.


If you have been reading this blog from the start, you might remember that DH forgot a little Halloween "anniversary" of ours last year. This isn't our wedding anniversary - it's the anniversary of the first day we spent together as friends and had a five hour conversation. The first year he brought me flowers on that date because by that time we were a "couple", the second year he brought me flowers on that date because were engaged, then the third year and every year after that, he brought me flowers because we were married. Then last year, nothing. No mention, nothing. I had a card and a gift for him and when I handed it to him, he said, "Oh, I forgot." The next day he vowed over and over that he would NEVER forget again as he handed me a bouquet of flowers (that were from the REDUCED section - but that was a whole 'nother arguement!). So, Tuesday was Halloween and guess what? He forgot again. I had a card and gift for him which he took, with no question or comment about it. Then last night - two days later - he brought me home flowers again. I appreciate the flowers, but it's not necessary. Just say, "I forgot and I'm sorry." I know it sounds silly, but it was just our special little thing and he forgot about it like it never happened. Okay, whine over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers