What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

I had a job interview on Thursday for the school. It was for the "Parent-Volunteer Coordinator." After going to the job interview and realizing what they expected me to do - be forceful and authorative and travel a couple weeks a year - I decided I wasn't interested in the job. I went to tell the Superintendent to withdraw my name and he announced they had decided to hire the other person. Doh! He said she had some experience doing a similar job, so that is great. He did offer me a different job at the lower Elementary School working in the library. I have volunteered in the library a lot and love working there. But, DH and I decided that this might not be the best time for me to get a job what with DS starting Middle School and needing homework help, etc. I am known for volunterring a lot and he wants me to be able to volunteer at his new school just as much as at his old school. And I am going to chair the Teacher Appreciation committee for the PTSA, so I will be known at his school too.

And......If I had a REAl job.......I wouldn't be able to seek out all my thrfit store deals. Say it ain't so Joe!

Thursday morning DS and I went to the CHEAP thirft that I love so much. They had just put out all these great brand new shirts in DS's size - Croft and Barrow, Polo, Ralph Lauren, Old Navy, etc. He got seven nice new polo style shrts from 25¢-$1.00 each. Great back to school clothes at an even better price! I bought a bunch of stuff for resell and to keep, but nothing worth a zillion bucks or anything.

Friday DS and I went to the Salvation Army, the Atic thrift Store and a garage sale. DS found a nice vintage Selsi telescope at a thrift. I was amazed it was only $1.00. We checked out the moon and Saturn Friday night. I also found him 19 of the Magic Treehouse Series books for 25¢ each at the S.A. I bought some ohter misc. things, but nothing to get excited about. I'm in the market for a new super speedy computer to get my ebay stuff going on ebay fast. Since I'm not going to get a "real" job - I still like to make my ebay money. It helps me with my thirfting money and fun money to blow with DS on the weekends and summer.

We're travelling to Toepka, KS next week for a week. Plan on hitting a lot of BIG thrift stores while we are there. I won't have a lot of spare room in the car for big stuff, but would love to find a great deal! A few years ago I bought a 1972 Crissy doll in Topeka at the SA for $1.27. I sold her for $100.00 -Buy It Now - on ebay. That helped pay for the trip! You never know when you might find a piece of Maria pottery or Murano glass or...I can dream, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers