What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, March 10, 2006

March Deals So Far

I went to a thrift on Wednesday - got three big half full jars of buttons that I combined into one huge jar for a total of $2.50, three like new vintage board games for $3.00 each, a stack of books that are really drawers for $1.00, some sort of brass vintage thingy that has Greek, Hebrew or I don't know what on written on it and a few other misc. things. I have the brass thingy listed on ebay, but I think I might pull it so I can research it further.

I wanted to go to my favorite thrift yesterday, but we were in tornado warnings all day. Decided it wasn't worth getting blown to Oz in search of a treasure. Instead I shopped on-line for some much needed clothes. I spent $250.00 which is like a ten year clothing budget for me normally! I ordered it on my credit card, will get it all, try it, send back what I don't like and pay it off all in one month to avoid service charges. I had, of course, a free shipping code that saved me $20.00.

I'm on my way to take DS to school - hoping to stumble onto a yard sale.

On Wednesday we had our taxes done. We go to the County Courthouse where volunteers from AARP help you do it on the computer and then e-file it for free. We used to pay $125.00 to have it done and we never got much back. Now it's free and we get a much larger refund. The volunteers really go over the forms with you and ask questions, so you can enter lots of things. Our state refund went for $88.00 to $270.00 just by him adding things and asking questions. Anyway, that is a deal - free tax services! We always put at least $10.00 in the donation can. They always say that is too much - but, gee, $10.00 to have your taxes done??? Now, that's a deal!

Deals, deals, deals - I went to "Deals" on Wednesday too. Have I mentioned Deals before? Everything is $1.00 and they take coupons too! I got these awesome leather looking photo storage boxes for $1.00 each. I had seen them at Hobby Lobby for $14.99 each and was too cheap (ME?) to buy them. I only bought two at Deals since they were flat in a box and I really couldn't see them that well. They are very nice and stylish. I should have bought a bunch of them. They had clearance Valentine's stuff 10/$1.00. I found ten nice little heart shaped tins. DS has a birthday party this weekend and we have already put the earrings and necklace he bought in one of the tins instead of a gift bag. The rest will go in the treasure box at school for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers